Peru Rug – Play Time

I’ve been working on the outline diamonds for this rug upstairs so I could get it completed a little faster. All 124 diamonds are now done and all the Sprat’s Heads are completed as well. Love those little half Sprat’s Heads at the four corners!

Peru-Diamonds

As you can see, the diamonds got lighter and lighter as I worked toward the outer edges. I used five different shades from one color family of Pepper Pot silk. Now that the diamonds are done, it’s time to play with stitches I will use to fill in those 124 diamonds. Below is my practice stitch canvas. It’s long and narrow and as I try out various stitches, I can move the canvas up a little at a time until it’s completely filled. I’m keeping track of the stitch names on a sheet of paper so I can tell you the names as I work on the rug. The practice stitch canvas is being stitched with a handful of floss and will NOT be the colors that I’m using for the actual rug. (I’m trying to use up my stash of Anchor floss.)

Peru-Samples

I have a list of about 40 stitches I’m going to try out before I start on the actual rug. I’ll be busy over the next week trying them out. Then I’ll start on the rug itself. Let the fun begin!

Blue Heron – Progress 2

I’ve gotten all the way across the bottom of the design now and also stitched some of the reeds that stand out from the flowers and plants along the bottom. The gray that you see on the right side are the legs of the blue heron, so he has started to make his appearance.

Blue Heron-2

There is a lot of open space around the middle so I’ll try to finish up the flowers, plants and water on this half of the design before you see it again. There’s no backstitching so it moves along a little faster. I definitely like that!

Cat Tree Ornament – finale

I received the Kreinik braid I needed on Saturday and got right to work. The background is stitched in Alicia’s Lace. The first layer was stitched in # 194, Pale Blue. The second layer was stitched using # 198, Pale Green. In the light, it has a slight glow surrounding the tree.

Cat Tree-3

I outlined several of the cats to make them show up a little better. The silver ornaments on the tree were stitched in Rhodes stitch with Kreinik silver braid. The bows on the tree were stitched in Lazy Daisy dark green Kreinik with a tiny red stitch in the middle of the two Lazy Daisy stitches. This can now be put in the growing stack of things waiting for finishing. I need to get started on that task soon.

Jim Wurth’s Hearts and Flowers – Progress 2

I’ve been stitching each day but not making enough progress on things to show you. Finally got the center finished and started the next step so I could show it to you.

HeartsFlowers-2

Around the center from last time, I stitched 8 points stars in pale gray Elegance and then did a Ray stitch over them with red Marlitt. The four corners were padded with Grandeur and satin stitched over that with red Splendor. The last step in the middle was to do Four Way Continental in the space between the center and the stars with Kreinik silver braid #8.

I have just started the next step – 48 Jessicas done in #8 Kreinik braid in dark red. Next will be to fill in the open areas between the Jessicas and the completed center with Sprats Heads. I haven’t looked ahead to see what comes next. I only pull out about 5 pages at a time. There’s quite a ways to go still.

Jim Wurth’s Hearts and Flowers – a Start

I still have two of Jim Wurth’s dodecagons left to do, so I’ve decided that they will be done this year. The two that are left are both red and silver – this one on red canvas and the last one on black canvas.

As always, there is the Smyrna stitch outline to do first. This time is was done in Grandeur silk and Kreinik braid. The center was also done in Grandeur silk with a Jessica in the middle and a Smyrna stitch in the center of that. Circles inside of circles inside of circles. The swirl pattern around the center was done with two needles and two #4 Kreinik braids. I needed to pay attention as I worked it, but the stitches themselves were easy. Now I can pull out the next 5-6 pages and see what Jim has in store for me next.

HeartsFlowers-1

I’m waiting for the Kreinik that I need to finish the background for the Cat Tree ornament. It’s on backorder. So I’ll continue to work on this until the thread arrives.

Blue Heron – a Start

This cross stitch is from the August 2012 issue of Cross Stitch Collection Magazine. I subscribe to this magazine for several reasons. There’s always at least one design each month that I want to stitch and this is the only magazine that I know of (digitally read on my Mini iPad) that allows me to print the charts. They print beautifully on standard printing paper and are easy to read.

The bottom 30 reads are solid stitching – flowers and water – and after that there will be a lot of open space. The Blue Heron will appear on the right side after I get the bottom stitched. As you can tell by the dark blue across the bottom, I have stitched half way across the bottom now.

Blue Heron-1

When it’s done, it will about about 7″ tall and just over 6″ wide. Hopefully, the blue heron will start to appear by the next time I show this piece.

Norfolk Diligence Sampler – Progress 4

I love this sampler, but I’m taking it slowly. And enjoying it a lot. I have finished the first band completely. And I’ve started the second band, which has three sets of green stems and two red and off-white flowers. When this band is complete I will have finished pages 1-2 of this project. When I start pages 3-4, I will get to finish the second band – the pansy flowers under the stems and stems under the red and off-white flowers.

NF Sampler-4

I also need to do the first repeat of the outside border on the right side. I’ll be back with this project when this top half of the second band is complete and the first two motifs you see here are completed from Page 3.