This cross stitch is from the August 2012 issue of Cross Stitch Collection Magazine. I subscribe to this magazine for several reasons. There’s always at least one design each month that I want to stitch and this is the only magazine that I know of (digitally read on my Mini iPad) that allows me to print the charts. They print beautifully on standard printing paper and are easy to read.
The bottom 30 reads are solid stitching – flowers and water – and after that there will be a lot of open space. The Blue Heron will appear on the right side after I get the bottom stitched. As you can tell by the dark blue across the bottom, I have stitched half way across the bottom now.
When it’s done, it will about about 7″ tall and just over 6″ wide. Hopefully, the blue heron will start to appear by the next time I show this piece.
I love this sampler, but I’m taking it slowly. And enjoying it a lot. I have finished the first band completely. And I’ve started the second band, which has three sets of green stems and two red and off-white flowers. When this band is complete I will have finished pages 1-2 of this project. When I start pages 3-4, I will get to finish the second band – the pansy flowers under the stems and stems under the red and off-white flowers.
I also need to do the first repeat of the outside border on the right side. I’ll be back with this project when this top half of the second band is complete and the first two motifs you see here are completed from Page 3.
I taking a break from the larger projects for a few weeks and am working on smaller things that can be done in a short time. First up is the Toy Store from Hometown Holiday. I have the building done now. It looks like it’s tilting a little – probably from my counting wrong on the top floor of the building and having to rip it all out and redo it over the weekend.
I’ve started on the first of the upstairs windows so I will get them done next. Then on to the rest of the store and trees around it. I hope to finish it by the end of the week.
I also have the newest addition to the series – the Village Church. So that might be the next next little project.
I didn’t get the dome and minarets finished. I haven’t had as much time to stitch upstairs. I finished the dark blue Woven stitch above the front panels, added rows of gold and turquoise cross stitches, and completed the dark teal Rhodes stitches above that. The top of the dome goes quickly. I only have the very top left to do and then add a dark gold around the edges of the dome.
It won’t take long to get the dome finished, maybe an hour or so. The minarets have a LOT of color changes and that takes time. I’m trying to do the little bits of minaret as I finish using each color on the dome. I should still be done in just a few more days. Then I can start working on the buildings on the right side of the mosque.
This first photo is the 5 large vowels that are in the center of Band 1. That’s the strangest A I’ve ever seen. LOL These were stitched with the Algerian Eye stitch. I’ve done lots of Algerian Eyes before, but not like this. You do the first stitch to the center and then the opposite stitch to make a long slanted line. You can’t pull the thread, like I’m used to, to make a hole in the center. But they look nice.
I’ve also completed the first repeat of the border that will go down the sides and across the bottom.
I’ll complete the first band by stitching the other cluster of leaves and rosebuds. I’d like to add the first repeat of the outer border on the right side as well. Then I need to figure out the stitch that is used to separate the bands before I can start on Band 2. Right now this piece is 10 inches wide and just over 2 inches long. I have a long ways to go, but I’m enjoying it very much.
All the little boxes for the checkerboard section of the outer border have been completed. Yeah! The sampler is 17 inches long, and the rest of the border along the sides and across the bottom will be a dark blue with flowers. I’ll have some of that done by the next time I show you the sampler. The little rosebud on the left was stitched last week as an incentive to get the checkerboard section done so I could start on the first band of the sampler.
The first band has a group of leaves and rosebuds on the left and right. The center is a set of large letters done in Algerian Eyes. That’s what I’ll be working on for the next couple of weeks. And I’m very happy to say that I am having NO trouble at all stitching over 2 on 40 ct. linen. Linen no longer intimidates me. LOL
Along with cutting down on projects, I still need to get some WIPs done. So I got out the fractal to see if I could get it completed this year. This is where I was the last time I showed it to you – February of last year.
And this is where it is today – with the top of the piece completed!
I still don’t like the brown and white lines on the right – just before the large section of dark browns. I keep thinking I should tear out part of it and redo it so it looks better. We’ll see. I’ve started the next section of the middle of the design. By the time I show this to you again, I’ll have part of the off-white ring that goes around the center of the design done. It’s going very slowly since this is a section that has no more than 3-4 stitches of any one color together. Lots of colors that have just 1 or 2 stitches in the square. But I’m working on it two mornings a week and am determined to get it finished.