Last New Motif

Looking at the rug as a whole, I felt there wasn’t enough red, so the middle motif here is predominately red – the main color in most Moroccan rugs. I’ve redone the new motif. I found out I was right about the number of threads. That’s why the count was off. I had to add two more threads to the area to make the motif work properly. The photo yesterday showed the white diamonds going over 10 threads for each diagonal thread. I needed to use 11 threads for each of these long, white stitches. I also found it stitches faster if I do the red diamond shapes first and then stitch the white around them. Things moved along quickly after that – I used two needles, one for the white and one for the red. Then I added the black stitches to break up the red a little. I also took the time to repeat the border that was stitched below this new motif. 

Motif9

It took a month to get all the borders and motifs tested and stitched. I will spend the next week repeating all the borders and motifs of the rug in reverse order. Since I don’t have to test and redo any of these sections, it should go a lot faster. I’ll do a post in a day or two about what I’ve learned while doing this rug and give you the reason behind it.

Advertisements

2 responses to “Last New Motif

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s