Anti Atlas Rug Finale

I started this rug a little over 6 weeks ago. I finished the last stitches last night. The last pattern square below was a fun little challenge. I decided to make the motif using stitches done horizontally, rather than the usual vertically over 2 threads. I wanted the “hook” stitches going in the same direction as the arms of the motif. Then I went around the entire motif with a darker brown – each stitch over 1 thread. This gives a sort of three-dimensional look which I like. The challenge was to figure out how to do the background, without overpowering the motif itself. The original has a small border around it, so I did that in the very pale yellow. Then I decided to use the lightest of the greens to do a background. I decided to fill in the center part first and then have a larger border around that. I think it looks good – filling in the center gives an octagon look, which is very Moroccan. So here it is.

DSC_0375Anne commented about the basketweave squares for this set after the last post. Each of the basketweave square took a full skein of floss. I didn’t have 3 skeins of the green I wanted to use, so I stitched the green squares with Anchor #8 perle cotton. I thought the #8 perle would be easier to stitch with and would look great. For some reason it looks like a lightly overdyed color. That’s probably the light is being reflected off the thread in a different way than the floss. Looking at the completed rug and studying it’s overall design and effect, I think the basketweave squares done in floss look much better.  Here’s the finished rug.

DSC_0376My thoughts on this rug –

1. Overall, I think it all works well together. The original rugs from this area have lots of color, even changing the color of the basketweave squares within a set. This rug has the look and feel of the original rugs of the area.

2. I learned a lot of new patterns and a few more motifs while stitching this rug. I know I’ll incorporate some of them into my original designs that I’ll be creating next year.

3. I still don’t know the best way to do the motifs that are stitched on top of the solid color areas. Even though I tried hard to make the add-on motifs neat and straight, some of them don’t look good to me. Adding them to the perle cotton squares was more difficult that on the floss squares.

4. Using the overdye threads for the first of the outer borders of each section helps to tie all the colors for each set together. Traditionally, the first border uses about 4 colors from the rug and those colors are alternated around the entire rug. I decided to do that differently and like the look it creates.

5. Orange is not my color, but I love the final result of that set. 

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this rug as well. What didn’t you like? What worked well overall? What didn’t work overall? These rugs are learning experiences for me – trying to learn about Berber rugs that are made today, and have been made for hundreds of years. The study will continue with the High Atlas rugs. Look for more information at that project, starting next week.

And thank you all for joining me on this journey through Morocco.


5 responses to “Anti Atlas Rug Finale

  1. Please don’t leave Morocco! this has been delightful and enlightening and lots of pretty stuff to see. I really like this one – and love that last little light green square. WOW!

  2. Hi Jan,

    Wonderful rug adaptation! I’ve enjoyed watching your progress. 🙂

    Now since you asked us to comment…

    What didn’t you like?
    I’m not a fan of orange so I must admit, I was kinda of ho hum about those squares though they did work with the over all design.

    What worked well overall?
    I enjoyed reading about how you adapted each of the designs. Especially your descriptions of why you made the adaptations. Very interesting to see how you resolved your challenges. 🙂

    Since I love blue I liked that section the best, followed by the green. I’d love to see the whole design worked in the green or the blue colorways.

    What didn’t work overall?
    The stitched one motifs in the pictures don’t look crisp. Would there be another way to stitch them to get the same effect without top stitching? How about under stitching with the same color as what you are going to put on top? Hmmmm… interesting challenge…

    Where you used the #8 thread instead floss. It does look differently in the picture. If you had done the same thing in the orange sections or stitched each of the three colors backgrounds differently it would have worked.

    Just wanted to add that I did enjoy watching this project!

    Windy Meadow

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.