It took several days and lots of trial and error, but I finally decided on what to do for the sections that go out on an angle between the rest/green squares. First, here is how it looked once I finished the rust/green boxes.
Then I added stitching for the angles. I used floss for this, backstitching a line in brown first. Then I added the light green and finally the light rust. The final step was to stitch the dark green X with a light green + over it.
It’s delicate enough to add to the design, but not heavy enough to draw attention away from the boxes on the outside and the focal point in the middle. I love fall colors, so this was an easy project for color choices. It could easily be done in other colors as well.
Now I need to get back to work on the High Atlas Pillow. See you in a few days.