I finally have time to stitch on the new rug!
Sometimes having to rethink a motif is a good thing. I showed you the Snake Skeleton in the post about practicing borders. Here is the original version:
You can see that the canvas shows through at times and I wanted to find a way to avoid this. So I played with this motif and found a way to stitch it using slanted stitches. And, amazingly enough, I really like the new version better. Since this is the first border on the new rug, I got right to work. I changed the Midnight blue background to the Classic Navy color and I think that helps to lighten it up just a little as well. I’m alternating two of the reds for the fish – Bordeaux and Cabernet (all the thread is Silk & Ivory, which is half Merino wool and half silk).
It will take a while before you see good progress on this rug. It’s going to be 18″ X 32″ (which makes it 3″ wider and 4″ longer than the blue rug). I felt I needed the larger size because of the medallion that will be in the center. I wanted to make sure there was room for a lot of background color around the medallion. So here is the first photo of the “whole” rug so far. If you look carefully, you can see a pencil mark under the Merlot border and to the right of the last red fish. That is the halfway mark for the width of the rug! After just one day of stitching, I think things are moving along nicely.
There will be three borders around the entire rug. I will finish stitching across the bottom and start up the right side today and tomorrow. Then I will start the second border before I post again. See you in a few days.