The “do one strand of motif and then one strand of background” rule didn’t work this time. I finished the motif yesterday and still had a half a skein of background to do today to finish this section of the rug.
I stitched “wingnuts” and corner using Tiger Silk & Ivory, Guacamole to outline the medallion, and Butter Rum to fill in the background of the medallion. There are a few stitches of Pesto and Ginger in each quarter of the medallion as well. The Butter Rum has a slight orange cast so it works very well in the wide strips that are mostly rust colors. I’ll use it to fill in the larger areas of all the medium and large motifs in the two large bands.
It’s been 2 weeks since I started this rug and it now measures 11″ wide and 9″ tall (the narrow band is 9.5″ tall). Tomorrow I’ll start the narrow band that runs up the middle of the rug. When that is 9″ tall, I’ll start the second medium-sized motif which will also have a Giraffe background.