First, I want to thank all of you who read, comment, or email me for making the last 23 months so wonderful!! The counter hit 50,000 earlier this week. I find this so amazing, that all of you find and read my posts about adapting art to needlepoint. I love what I do and am glad that I can share some of that with you. Thank you again.
The second of the coasters from Peru is now completed. The first version is very close to the original created about 2,500 years ago – same colors, patterns, and Alpaca wool. Then I showed you the design on the second one which was done entirely in floss. This was to illustrate how the thread you choose creates a specific look and feel to the project. I really like the first version, but the Alpaca is difficult to work with since it frays so easily. That makes the original piece even more amazing. This version is also good – crisp and clean motifs. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to create something beautiful and original yourself.
I used 4 plies of floss to fill in the background in Basketweave. You can see several places where the canvas peeks through if you look closely. Overall, it works nicely. I went around the entire outside of the coaster with one extra row of stitches since the floss is much lighter in weight compared with the Alpaca wool. Then I measured the piece to make sure it was 3 inches square to fill in the coaster. I found that I needed to add one more row of Basketweave along the left and right side to make it 3 inches. This is something to keep in mind when doing square pieces. Sometimes the count on the canvas can vary by 1 or 2 threads from one direction to another. It was an easy fix for this project, but can cause complications on some projects.
Back to work now. I’m working on a couple of new, small projects that I want to start in the next week or two.