I’ve started on the top section of the mantle now. I know it’s hard to see this project, being black on black, but I hope with the white paper behind it you can see a little. The scrollwork has been stitched in black and I’ve stitched green through the middle to help you see it. I’ve started to fill in around the green with Marmalade – the color used to fill in the face and the cats.
The scrollwork does not go all the way across the top (or the bottom when I get to it). There will be a block of black Scotch stitches on each side. Below the scroll I’ve started to add the Nibuko stitch in Clementine, a shade lighter than Marmalade. Across the top of the scroll I’ll use the lightest shade, Quince. This is definitely a loud project.
Here’s how the whole project looks so far.