Thank you for all the comments and emails on this problem of mine. Most of you think I should adapt the design and continue on. This was my original thought as I tucked it in the closet for the week. Remember, I only work on this project on Sundays. Then for the rest of the day Sunday, it kept coming back into my thoughts. It just wouldn’t shut up. It made me quite grouchy for the rest of the day. Then I got all the comments and emails from all of you, and gave a lot more thought to just adapting it and continuing on my merry way. No, the needlepoint gods didn’t that the second time around either.
So starting on Sunday, I will tear out part of the border and then restitch it properly. Since it is off one repeat of the border pattern, it is off by 8 stitches on all 4 sides. That would mean I would have to adapt everything I did (for the most part) on the rest of the design. I’m only about one third done with this project at this point. I don’t want to do that much adapting – it’s enough that I have to decide what colors and threads to use for each of the 118 sections (though I love that part). I’ll redo a little of the border each Sunday, so I don’t have to spend all my time on that. It won’t be so bad. Here is the whole project so far.
I’m hoping the needlepoint gods are happy now and won’t cause any more stitching errors in my work for the rest of the week. I had a mistake in the Tunisian Rug on Monday and then Stars and I had a big fight yesterday afternoon, but settled our differences and got half of the next square done. Today – I’m calm and ready to work mistake-free. Let’s see how long that lasts.