In order to get the dimensions correct on this rug, I needed to stitch the second border, Meander, first. The canvas and I had a rather heated discussion about counting stitches as I tried to get this border started. I would count out 21 threads from where I wanted to start the first Navy Gobelin part. When I had stitched 21 stitches, it was off by one. Okay, how can the canvas change its holes around while I’m stitching?!?! That’s what it felt like. I did it twice and ripped it out and then finally got it right. Wednesday was not a great start. But I finally got it right.
Once it was started, I could stitch the Natural silk & Ivory part of the Meander border and then fill in with Navy. I just needed the corner done in Navy first to know where to set up the first repeat.
I actually started the outer border first and the counting problem was trying to get the second Navy border started in the correct spot. Here is my progress so far. Not a lot, but it’s progress.
There will be 6 repeats of the Navy bars for this side of the rug. So I have 2 more repeats to go. Then I can start filling in the top Navy part and get the first of the motifs for the outer border started as well. Let’s see how far I can get by next Saturday when I’ll post my progress again.