Another slow week. I hope things improve soon.
I started with the corner that I didn’t like last week. I tried a couple of ideas on the practice canvas and didn’t like them any better than the original. I finally decided that the corners don’t have to be pointed. I ripped out the pointed corners and did a regular repeat of the motif. It looks like this:
So this will be my adaptation of the Meander border. Then I redid the first corner and filled in the Navy, completing the square that is formed with a Scotch stitch done over 6 threads. I like the look of this and will continue the rest of the corners this way.
Then I went back to work on the outer border. I wanted to add crescents between the flowers but I didn’t them to come to a point at the bottom. They would be too much like the flowers that way. So I added a set of stitches to create a curve leading into each crescent. I had planned to use Trio for this but even using 1 strand of Trio it didn’t look smooth enough. So I went to my stash and pulled out some blue Splendor and went to work.
I had a lighter blue, but it made everything look like the same and I decided to use the darker blue for the crescent. I tried a shorter version also, but then all the weight of the flower and the crescent were in the middle of the border and I wanted something a little different. Hopefully the curve on the bottom and the taller version create a more balanced border. I will continue work on these 2 borders next week and add the motif for the corner as well. Now that the Meander border is settled, I want to work that around the entire rug. Then I can work on the other borders while I start the middle of the rug. It appears that this rug is going to take a while.