The little engine is done, except for the beads. I actually drove for the first time last week and went to Michael’s to buy beads. Seed beads are too small and I hoped I would find something I could use. Well, Michael’s has changed the bead section and they don’t carry Mill Hill Beads anymore and not much of what they carry is good for needlepoint. I bought some black and some gold beads but thought they would be too big – and they are. So I read online about bead sizes and how many of each bead size it takes for one inch. I them crossed my fingers and ordered some online and they will be here in a few days. I hope they are the correct size. I’ll post again once the beads are attached.
So here is the engine with all the stitching done. I was supposed to start with the wheels according to the stitch guide, but I didn’t want to use the Chain stitch that was suggested. I finally decided to use a Gobelin type stitch, sometimes using the same hole on the inside edge of the wheel twice to make it move around the circle better. I did the cow catcher last, couching down the Kreinik braid with one strand of floss. This was suggested in the stitch guide and I think that really turned out well. I still think the perle cotton for the background is perfect. It makes the whole engine really stand out so much better than having a shiny Kreinik braid background.
Before I start working on the Gift Car of this little Christmas train, I’m going to get out the 3D Train Station again. I want to get the front of the train station done before I start the Gift Car. So I’ll alternate the two projects – the Train Station and the Gift Car and the Caboose. I’m happy to be starting on one of my larger projects that I was working on before my surgery. And it’s wonderful to have my first project of 2013 completed as well.