Finally got this little piece finished and isn’t it lovely! Joni packed a lot of detail and new techniques into this 5 x 7 design.
We started the little Congress Cloth piece during the workshop and then finished it up on our own. We got brave and pulled a few strands away from the edges to form a fringe before we secured it to the 18 ct. canvas. No problem at all. Adding the pieces of cording across the Congress Cloth was a little more difficult, but I finally got it done yesterday. We used Seed beads and Bugle beads to secure the little gold square to the canvas.
On to other areas – the area to the left of the Congress Cloth was slow to start, but once I got into the rhythym of the stitch (which imitates cathedral windows) it went a little faster. I love the look of it too. The border stitched up quickly and a bead was added to center of each diamond.
Then on to the final section – the three diamonds toward the bottom. I had one Jessica done in my last post and quickly stitched the other two. Then on to the last new thing to learn. Joni used Lutrador (which she color-washed) to make the flower petals. Lutrador looks a lot like pellon, but doesn’t tear. Using a sharp needle, I sewed it to the canvas and placed a large bead in the center of each flower. I found the material slippery so my flowers are not as neat and pretty as the ones Joni did. But I can see how Lutrador can be used in a lot of different ways in needlepoint designs. I just need more practice using it.
I want to thank Joni Stevenson for designing this lovely piece and also for allowing me to post it on my blog. See more of Joni’s designs on her website http://www.jonisdesigns.com and learn more about needlepoint stitching on her blog http://creative-stitch.blogspot.com.