I’ve had interruptions every morning this week and haven’t had enough stitching time upstairs. I’ve been working my way across the first band by outlining each of the motifs to make sure everything would fit. Then I started working across the band one color at a time. I haven’t gotten very far on that, but the first of each motif is completely finished and I’ve started the border that will separate this band from the next one as well. Here’s a close-up of the ones that are done.
I said that I wouldn’t use any Rhodes stitches with two colors. So I tried a Ray stitch with two colors instead. I like it! In the first motif, the dark red is a Sprat’s Head and the light blue at each end is a Ray stitch. The second motif has Mosaic and Cashmere stitches in greens and off-white. The Ray stitch is Paprika and Natural (off-white). As I work my way across the band and complete the individual motifs, I’ll stitch the dividing border and the two thread separation between the motifs. I planned on doing the dividing border in Van Dyke, but I wanted it over 3 threads instead of 4. I ended up with a very tight woven band and I do like it, so I’m not going to rip it out and change it now. I also need to get more of the outer borders done on the right side. I have a lot to do over the next week. Hopefully it will get done this time.
Here is the rug so far:
It’s looking more like one of my rugs now – threads hanging all over the place. I try to start and end threads on top of the canvas since it is so large. By next week they will all be covered up and it will look neater.