This rug continues to fight with me every inch of the way. So some days, I just walk away and let it roll around in my head – trying to think of a better way to do things or another stitch that will work better. But I do have the two motifs for Band 2 to show you today, finally.
I left Band 1 in the photo so you can see how much bigger Band 2 is. The light brown thread across the top is to help keep track of where each motif should start and end. This is the third time I’ve done that for this band. I think it’s finally going to work out across the row.
The Greek key type row at the beginning and end of the first motif just didn’t look right when I finished it so I added another row of the Cabernet across the top – looked better. I didn’t realize that adding that one stitch would change everything else as I stitched it. I like the combination of Sprat’s Heads and Diagonal Mosaic on the left and right side of the larger motif. The large X is done in a variation of Burden Stitch – slow going. The triangles at the top and bottom of the motif are from Suzie’s Portable Stitches 2 – Sprat’s Head Herringbone. This was also used for the light green triangles in the second motif. I needed to make this second motif skinnier because the first motif changed in size. The Herringbone stitch is now over 3 threads instead of 4. The striped zigzag is a little narrower as well.
It’s now ready to go and Band 2 should be done by the time it’s shown here again in two weeks. I’m hoping for trouble free stitching for a while. Here is the rug so far.