Now that the borders are all complete, it’s time to start filling in all those diamonds and hexagons. Like the cross stitch one, I started in the center area.
The diamonds that cross the middle from left to right and to to bottom were stitched with Jessicas. They were small ones and just didn’t look right. I ripped them out and stitched a larger version that looks better. I started to add a Smyrna stitch in the middle of each Jessica (see the bottom two diamonds) and they are too small, so they got ripped out too. The centers now have a Wheat stitch inside the Jessicas. The diamond in the middle is rust Impressions, the next ones going out from the middle are medium turquoise Impressions and the outer ones are a darker turquoise Impressions. The area around the center diamond was stitched with dark turquoise Shimmer for the grid lines and rust Impressions for the cross stitch tie downs.
For the next round of diamonds, I used both shades of turquoise Impressions to stitch the long crosses and small crosses to hold the threads together. The hexagons at the middle level are stitched with the rust using a Vault stitch from Shapes of Needlepoint. The small Smyrna stitches and the tie down for the Vaults were stitched with medium turquoise Impressions.
Now to decide on stitches for the rest of the design. I hope to have it done in another week.