Not a lot of progress over the last two weeks, but I have completed Band 4 and turned the rug around so it will be easier to work with.
I did one more repeat of the outer border motif of the left side and then turned it around so I can work on the right side. I’ve turned the photo, but the canvas is actually rotated 90 degrees. The start of Band 5 is right on the edge of the canvas and I’ll be working across the bottom outer border.
I’ve practiced stitched the new motif so I know it will work out well. I stitched the outline of the first one to make sure the spacing on the row will work out. The pale blue/gray line in the photo above is there to mark where each of the motifs will start and end and the spacing between them is exactly right. Nice! Here’s a close-up of the motif for Band 5.
It’s fun coming up with stitches for each of these motifs. I’m using a lot of Ray, Rhodes, and Sprat’s Head stitches. I’ve been looking through stitch books trying to find more variations on these stitches that I will be able to use. There are some new ones coming up in this new band. I hope they work out well. The background will be Nobuko again. It’s a quick stitch and always looks nice. I’ll be trying the lighter burgundy for this band. There’s a lot of it and I worry about it overwhelming or “clashing” with all the dark burgundy (Cabernet) in the last band. I’ve also decided to use a different blue on this band, not the lighter blue from Bands 1 and 3. This one is a blue/gray. I think it will look better.