If I could count properly, I’d be farther along on this new design. Sigh.
Like my needlepoint, I like to do adaptations for cross stitch as well. And sometimes things don’t work out like I envision them. This project is one of those. I started with a photo of an Orfeo Jacquard Persian motif from a rug.
I was working with MacStitch, a cross stitch software for Mac, trying to get the feeling for the design and making it simpler, less crowded. The more I worked on it, the less it looked like the rug fragment shown above. But I kept going and it gradually became Hearts & Flowers and looks nothing like the original piece.
I now have two of the four hearts stitched. Miscounting required me to rip out almost two thirds of the second heart. Notice that the two roses are not the same at the top. The two hearts on the top and bottom will be the same and the two on the left and right will be the same when it is completed.
I decided to try out one of the roses to see how it would look before quitting last night. I know most people would start with the darkest color on the outside and get lighter as they stitched toward the center, but I wanted to try the opposite. Our anniversary was last month and DH bought be a bouquet of pale pink roses (my favorite) and lilies. The lilies hadn’t even started to bloom when I got the bouquet. As they started to open, they were pale pink and we assumed that they would match the roses. But when one of them finally popped open, it was brilliant pink with light pink and white along the edges. This was the inspiration for the rose that is now stitched on Hearts & Flowers.
I want to get all four hearts stitched before I go back to the flowers and other small details that are needed to complete the design. I want the hearts done by the end of the month and then can work on the details the first week of April.