In the last post, I told you I was working on two new projects. This is the second one – a rug from Central Anatolia (the area just East of Ankara, Turkey). The center medallion has intrigued me for quite a while now since it is so different from any others I’ve seen. It’s a keyhole (or turret) medallion.
The design is about half done already! It’s just been sailing along. I’ve adapted a border from the same region already and I’ve started on the medallion. The outline for the medallion is done and I’ve started filling it in. As usual, I’m having to cut it down in size and make it a little simpler.
I’ll be using Pepper Pot Silk for this in red, gold, olive green, and black. I’m excited about the background too. I found out that Pepper Pot now has overdyes and I asked Michelle at Come to the Point about them. She didn’t have them, but ordered them to surprise me. (She is so great to work with!) I’ll be getting a skein of each color I want to use today along with the red overdye to use for the background. Since the border for the medallion lends itself so easily to using Milanese stitch, I’ll fill in the entire background in Milanese as well! Getting very excited about this project though I can’t start it just yet – I have stockings to finish first.