It usually takes me about a month or so to complete a design for one of my rugs. This one just would not leave me alone and it was done in 6 days!! I showed you the medallion in a previous post, but here it is again.
This will take up the entire middle of the rug and have a red background around it. I didn’t have a rug to adapt this time, just this medallion. So I looked through my rug books to find an Anatolian border that would work with this medallion. I have all the materials ready to go and I’ve done a little practice stitching to make sure the border and the colors will work for me. Here are the colors:
These are all Pepper Pot silks – black, white, two shades of red, two shades of gold, two shades of olive green. The one by itself on the bottom is a variegated red from Pepper Pot silk. And here is my practice stitch piece.
It’s a little dark so you can’t really see the dark olive. I’ll try for better lighting next time. Since the medallion has traingles that are perfect for Milanese stitch, I decided to stitch the background around it in Milanese using the variegated red thread. The rows will be longer in the actual rug, so I hope the colors won’t puddle as much. We’ll see.
I’ll be working on this Friday and Saturday mornings until the mandala is done (hopefully by the end of July), then I can spend more time on it. So it will be started this Friday morning. I’m really looking forward to this. And I hadn’t even planned on doing a rug this year!