WOW! 4 posts in one week! Next week, it’s back to the regular schedule of stitching and making more progress.
I fell in love with the Keyhole medallion and had to create a rug where I could display it. I had several borders to choose from that were from the same area of Anatolia – just East of Ankara, Turkey. I’m only using 9 colors – 2 shades of olive, 2 shades of gold, 2 shades of red, white, black, and the overdyed red – all from Pepper Pot Silk.
I choose this one, but you’ll notice that it doesn’t show a corner. And I couldn’t find this border in a rug either. So I needed to create one myself. In the practice stitching that I showed you before, I used black to divide the corner square and for the two Scotch stitches in the corner as well. When I started stitching, I decided that it was difficult to distinguish between the dark olive and the black. I changed the black in the corner for the dark red.
I’ve only spent about 6-7 hours on this so far and this is how far I’ve gotten. On the right side, I’ll finish the red motif and then do the corner on that side. It’s only going to be 11.5″ across the narrow end – only 4 repeats of the larger motif. Eventually, it should be about 19″ tall. Once I have a couple of motifs up each side, I can start on the Keyhole medallion and the background around it. I hope to have some of that to show you next time.
Until the mandala is finished, this is worked on Friday and Saturday mornings only, for 1-2 hours each day.