I haven’t been spending a lot of time on this – maybe 1-2 hours a week. But I wanted you to see how the sky is developing and how I started the rigging.
I’m using 4 overdyes and two solid colors (light blue and white) to stitch the sky. It does take some planning to decide when to change colors and try to have it look fairly realistic. I’m only about a third of the way through the sky.
But it was time to do the start of the rigging. This is going to get really complicated! For each rope, I have to decide which mast it will be attached to, and whether the rope will go to the crossbar, in front of a crossbar or behind each crossbar. I’m going to print out the photo I took of the rigging before I started to stitch and see if I can figure it out. Right now I have 4 ropes on the canvas (each is #8 brown perle). The first two go from near the top of the main mast to the side of the first crossbar. The other two start in the same place, but go behind the first crossbar to other masts. Right now I’ve run the perle under stitches for the crossbar and then followed the line to where it will go next and left the end of the threads hanging on the front of the canvas. This way I can pull the ropes out of the way as I stitch the sky and then pull them taut to keep the thread straight.
While I figure out the rigging, I’ll put the canvas away for a while. Once I have the paper copy marked where the lines need to attach, I’ll get it back out and get back to work.