Here is the whole piece as of this morning:
All of the background is done in the Ripples stitch. The the two gray edges of the outer border are also completed. So I’ve started on other areas. Here is a close-up of the area being worked on:
Flowers first – I’ve tried a million different ways to stitch these flowers and hated every one of them. Last week I finally tried this one and it works for me. The buds are another story. The one on the right is great but the one of the left has a slight curve and doesn’t look right. I’ve stitched it twice and will try again the next time this canvas is on the floor stand.
The small heron. I’m using Encroaching Gobelin (thanks for the suggestion Anne) for the breast and stomach and it’s going fine. I’m using two different overdyes to get the right color (that I wanted), reversing one of them in the needle. That isn’t quite finished yet and I’ll have to go back over the breast to put in the loose feathers. I started the lower feathers using a Weeks Dye Works overdye, but I’m not sure I like how I stitched it. The colors are okay. So I’ll be thinking about it (mulling it over) until I work on this again. I haven’t tied off the end of the threads for the bill – not sure it will stay that way or change next time.
Update: I forgot to mention the area just below the small heron. This is the start of the green/brown background that is overlayed with tall grass. I’m using 3 shades of loden green in Mosaic stitch for the background. The grass was straight stitches using an overdyed thread that is grayish-brown and grayish green. Again, I’m not sure I’ll stay with straight stitches. We’ll see next time.
Next week, it’s time for the ASOW ship to get put on the floor frame. I’ll continue the sky and rigging.
AND I’ll pick up the Congress Cloth for my new rug on Wed.!!! I need to get everything set up for that next weekend. More on that soon.