After putting Father Christmas away, I pulled this project out to finish this year. I haven’t worked on it since December of 2015. Here’s where I had stopped at that point:
Actually, there was a little more done on the side borders. I’m now working on the large band with the manor house which has the roofs on pages 5-6 (what I’m working on now) and finishes with pages 7-8.
The middle of the design runs through the beige section of the chimney. The sky on the left side is completely done. When the rooftops and chimneys are done on these two pages, I’ll stitch the night sky on the right side and continue the side border on that side. It’s good to be working on this again. I’m enjoying it a lot.
I finished this on Friday evening – two needlepoint finishes in one week!
The Watercolors I used is a little lighter than the one from the pattern, but it still works well. I also substituted Anchor colors for all the #5 perle cottons. Everything was in my stash except the ribbon floss, so lots of threads are now out of my stash.
Laura’s patterns are always a joy to stitch. And I love getting another project out of my stash too!
I’ve picked two unfinished projects – one cross stitch and one needlepoint – to work on next downstairs. You’ll see them over the next week or so. And tomorrow I’ll start another needlepoint WIP upstairs as well. There will be lots of new things to see soon.
This is my year to relax more and finish some WIPs. So what will I work on now that I’ve finished another rug? Usually, I get to work on another one right away, but I’m doing things a little different this year. I’m not going upstairs to stitch on a large project until next Monday. Taking some time to think about what I want to do. I have 4 needlepoint WIPs that need finishing:
- Purple Heron – I haven’t decided what to do for the background and plants behind the herons, so I’ll probably just work on the floral border for a while. This will be my Friday and Saturday project starting next week. Here’s where it is right now:
2. ASOW tall ship – I need to figure out all the rigging before I can continue with the sky. I’m down to the first cross beam so far:
3. Swans – This is on penelope canvas and I’ve changed the green colors a little, but I would like to get it finished. It’s going in the guest bathroom – someday.
4. Ghiradelli Square by Peter Ash – Love the colors and haven’t touched it in 3 years! Maybe this needs to be worked on next?
One of these will become the Mon-Wed project starting next week.
But while I’m sitting downstairs working on smaller projects, I’m taking some breaks to begin planning on the next rug! I said it would take a long time to design and I’m sure you’ll agree with me. This is a Persian Qum rug.
I saw this on Pinterest and grabbed a copy for my Design Ideas board. I’ve already decided that I will eliminate the large outer border and just do the vase of flowers and the two side panels backed with a rust color. I’ll be stitching it on Congress Cloth to try to keep the overall size smaller – so about 13″ X 17″ maybe. I spent an hour today pulling threads from my stash – solids and overdyes – for color inspiration. Now I’ll play with small borders, lots of flower stitches, etc. and try to create a new wall hanging. You probably won’t my plans for a couple months, but know it’s mulling around in my mind and will slowly find it’s way to the computer.
I wanted to complete this by the middle of this month, so here it is:
18 ct. canvas
11.5″ X 19″
23 skeins of Pepper Pot Silk from Planet Earth Fibers
I love this rug but I have no idea what I’ll do with it. It doesn’t go with anything in my house. But when I design and stitch these rugs, I do my best to keep them close to the original in design and color. I guess I need to set up my stitching room as a rug display room with a rotating schedule of all my rugs.
No idea what I’ll do next. I know the rug I’d like to do next but the design stage is going to take quite a while.
With several sections of solid colors, I was able to get the next 8 squares done in just 10 days. Wish there were more like that. 🙂
The blue at the top is the beginning of a bell lying on top of the trunk. On the trunk, you see the beginnings of the tassels and the locks.
Now on to the next section – the bottom half of these two columns. I’m working on it an hour every day and average about 10-12 colors each time. This will be back at the end of the month.
Another two sections done and the rest of the side borders as well.
One more gold ribbon floss band and one more larger pattern band to do. And then a very quick bottom border. I’m hoping to have it done next week. (And the rug too!)
I love these panels by Laura Perin. They move along so quickly with #5 perle and a little shine with two ribbon flosses.
I only work on this piece on weekends during (American) football season. With the Super Bowl taking place later today, it’s time to put it away until September. This is where it was when I started working on it in Sept 2016:
At the end of 2016, I had gotten to this point:
So for the last month or so I’ve been working on the right side of the design. This is where I’m stopping for now:
I was trying to fill in areas on his face, alternating that and filling in more background. Then I found that I couldn’t do any more of the background until I started stitching the steam rising from the goblet in his hand. The top half of pages 1-5 are completed. The bottom half of pages 1-2 are done and a little more is needed on page 3. Page 4 is background and steam and page 5 is the orange and brown stripes (now completed) and the maroon and brown triangles that run down the right side. And that is where I’ll start again in September.
In the meantime, I have quite a few cross stitch WIPs from 2015 that I didn’t work on last year because I had the mandala and 5 stockings to get finished. One of those projects will come downstairs tomorrow so I can get back to work on it. Stay tuned.