I finished the last stitches on Saturday night (my first finish of 2018). I sent a photo to the soon-to-be-parents and they love it. Now to get it framed and sent to them. Baby due in 5 weeks.
This was stitched with #5 perle cotton on 18 ct. canvas. I needed to buy about 6 colors and all the rest were in my stash (including the 8 skeins of white).
Now to decide what to work on next – probably the needlepoint stocking for DH’s granddaughter. But not until the ASOW Tall Ship is completed by the end of the month. The stocking is too big to handle downstairs while I watch TV.
You’ve already seen the Tall Ship, so here are the other two projects I’ve worked on this past month.
My Qum Rug is slowly progressing. I worked mainly on the right side this past month.
I have two repeats of the blue motif up the right side now. And I’ve worked on the arch area, adding to the edging and working on the first branch of flowers which are now completed. On the left I’ve added the edges of the border but need to add another blue motif to match the right side and more flowers in the arch area. Here is the whole rug so far.
I’m also hoping to begin work on the center section during December, starting the vase in the center.
On the ABC piece for the new granddaughter, I’ve more or less finished the first three rows. I’ll start the next row this evening. Two more letters to be at the halfway mark. Since she isn’t due until the end of February I still have a lot of time.
My hands were much worse last weekend, but I’ve figured out what I did wrong that caused so much pain. I was trying to open a jar, something I’ve never had trouble with before. I finally asked DH to open it for me. Today I ordered a gadget that will help me open jars from now on. I’m also using my wax bath for a few nights, since that usually helps ease the pain for several weeks. I’m now stitching 3 hours a day – one hour at a time with lots of time in between. I’m really taking it easy but miss the stitching if I have to put it away for days at a time.
I’ve been working overtime on this piece, hoping to get it done before the baby arrived. Penelope helped by being almost two weeks late, but I did get it done today!
I really can’t decide which little animal I like the best – the whale, rooster, turtle??? This was a fun stitch and moved along nicely. Now to get it framed and hang it in Penelope’s room.
We finally got to visit with Penelope and her parents today. She is so adorable and I got a photo of DH holding his first grandchild too. Then she fell asleep in my arms.
An all around wonderful day!
This definitely will not be finished before the new granddaughter is born, but I’m making progress. The top half of the design is complete – 12 of the 26 animals. There are more smaller animals coming up on the lower half.
Each one is cuter than the last one. I did the Ladybug last night and just had to do the black outlining and the name today. I need to spend more time on this and get it done.
We were in the 90s today and this will be our weather for the next week (possible 100+ on Sunday.) We talked with the mother-to-be today and told to head over here if it gets too hot at her place. Only about 3 weeks to go. She’ll be more comfortable here during the day.
I know how hot weather effects you when you’re pregnant since I had two of my boys while living in Morocco (a million years ago). Without air conditioning there, it was miserable.
If they do come over, I’ll be able to show them the Christmas stocking I bought recently. It’s 21″ tall, so I want to be sure they like it before I buy the threads and get it onto my list to start early next year.
Each animal is so cute and that makes this fun to stitch! But I haven’t had as much time to stitch lately. This may not get done until after the baby is born.
I’ve been very careful with the backstitching, but some parts just don’t look all that great. I outlined the A twice. This second time looks better, but I’m still not loving it.
5 down and 21 more to go!! I’m hoping that there are a lot of smaller animals coming up so it will move along a little faster.
I’ll move across the top now and then down the right side to finish the top half of the design. OK bird – you’re next.
It’s taken over 7 years, but I have finally reached post number 1,000! I obviously don’t post as often as some other people do.
Here is what I have decided to stitch for our new granddaughter (since Train of Dreams didn’t work out). This is ABC Sampler from Design Works. It’s cute and just filled with animals and lots of colors. The photo of the project is printed on shiny paper and I had to take photo at a slant to prevent the flash from hiding a lot of it.
Every kit has its own little quirks and this one is no different. The thread is sorted through holes punched in light weight cardboard (that is normal), but there are no symbols to tell you what color it is. The instructions say that the colors are placed in the holes in the same order they are shown on the chart – left to right on the top row and then it curves down to the second row which is in order from right to left! I knew that would drive me crazy, so I picked up a pen and wrote the symbols above each hole. Then I got to work.
Starting in the middle of fabric, I stitched the jaguar. And here he is!
Now this is more child friendly and I can’t wait to pick it up each afternoon and work on it for an hour or so. I still have to stitch the large capital J above the word, so I’ll start there tomorrow and then start the iguana next.