Needlepoint Update – September 2018

2 finishes this month!

First is the last of the Fancy Hat Snowmen ornaments. I didn’t have enough white Neon Rays to do the band of the hat, so it’s stitched with Planet Earth stranded silk. The face is Brick Stitch using white Kreinik ribbon. The pink cheeks are Splendor and the nose is a rust ribbon that didn’t have a label. I’ll need to get with it and start finishing some of these ornaments soon so they are ready for Christmas.

The other finish is the C in CAT by Cheryl Schaeffer. I couldn’t finish the cat until I bought more black and white Whisper. It was stitched with the dreaded Long/Short stitch. The eyes are green Kreinik.

Next I decided to quickly get a start on the A for CAT. I didn’t like the really dark color for the holes of the cheese, so I used a shade darker than the cheese. Kind of hard to see but I don’t want to tear it out again. The first try was the overdyed Pepper Pot that was used the ball of yarn in the letter C above. The mice are being stitched with the overdyed Pepper Pot used for the darker sections of floor in the Bear Stocking. The background for all three pieces is Nobuko.

The Bear Stocking is driving me crazy right now. I’ve tried two different ways of stitching the white tree branches and they looked horrible! The branches are being stitched on top of the background. So while I play on some practice canvas trying to figure out what to do, I’m stitching all the background in blue and stitching the lights and ornaments when I get to them. You’ll notice there is no space for a name, so I’ll create one by making two white bands in Gobelin over two threads with the name in gold Kreinik ribbon between them. Then I can fill in the background around the name with the dark blue background thread using Basketweave. That will be the top 2 inches. So next week I’ll turn the canvas around and stitch the rest of it upside down so it’s easier to reach. I want it done this month.

And finally, the Qum rug. The center panel now has the first set of completed flowers. The pink flowers were stitched with two shades of rose Splendor. At the bottom, I did two shades of purple beads for a little more color. The heart-shaped (sort of) brown branches are for the next set of flowers. Once the background has been filled in around the branches, I’ll add the flowers. Most of the flowers are being stitched on top of the background.

It’s also time to add more of the border and arch, so I’ll turn the canvas so I can stitch one side at a time. I’m going to do two more repeats of the outer border motif on each side. Then I add two more inches to the arches before going back to the center. You probably won’t see this project again until the December 1st post. Right now it’s only about 5 inches tall and the rug will be about 21 inches tall when it is completely done. I imagine a 2020 finish. Can you believe that?

I lightened up the photo this time. This is more like the actual colors.

I’m worn out just thinking about all of this, but I spent some time this past week getting two more needlepoint projects ready to go. That’s my incentive to get busy and finish the stocking so I can start something new next month.

Happy stitching to all of you!

Advertisements

Needlepoint Update – August 2018

I’ve done well with the stocking for DH’s granddaughter. And I’ve tried to work on a couple other projects, but haven’t gotten very far.

Teddy Bear Stocking – The second bear is done completely done with Interlocking Goblin. It really went quickly too, thank goodness. So I’m up to the tree branches now. That will be challenging, but I think I have a plan ready to go.

I wanted to finish the C for the Cheryl Schaeffer C-A-T, but ran out of black Whisper and don’t have any white to finish the face. They’ve been ordered. I’ve finished the background for the letter and started on the cat.

And I’ve started the last of the 3 Fancy Hat Snowmen. I’m using white Neon Rays, lighter blue Fyre Werks, and darker blue Silk Lame Braid. It will eventually get done. Not much energy in the evenings right now.

Trying to get this finished in August so all 3 ornaments can be made into ornaments.

Needlepoint Update – February 2018

I’ve worked on these two projects this month:

Teddy Bear Stocking by Barbara Fox

– I finished stitching the light colored wood floor and worked on Christmas lights and ornaments. The Christmas lights are stitched with Sparkle Rays. The red ornament on the left was stitched with red Snow and flowers are Lazy Daisy stitch with Kreinik #12 braid. The ornament on the right was stitched with green ribbon floss and silver Kreinik ribbon, using the Scotch stitch – I used the Kreinik ribbon for the longest stitch.

I’ll try to complete all of the things on the light-colored floor in March, work on the darker section of the floor, and hopefully start the first teddy bear.

The other project is C A T by Cheryl Schaeffer. This is moving along well now. The three balls of yarn were a challenge to figure out. I finally decided to Basketweave them with variegated Pepper Pot Silk (very subtle shading) and then “wrap” long strands around to imitate a ball of yarn. Finished the pink one last night. I still have the strands that fall down the letter, but I want all the white background filled in first. Then I can stitch the cat.

This one reminds me of holding skeins of yarn while my mother wound up the yarn into balls. I did that a lot! I want to get this one finished in March and then I can start on the letter A. (just noticed a problem just to the left of the cat – I’ll get that fixed tonight)

I’ve also decided to work on the Qum rug upstairs one week each month, but I didn’t get enough done to show you this month.