I usually do 2 columns at a time on this, but this time I did 2 and a half columns. This will finish Page 1 when I get the bottom half of these columns done.
The bell and the book at the top are done and the trunk is almost done. I’m excited about the bottom of the page – the train starts to appear next. You can see a little smoke now and the start of the smokestack already. The top 1,000 stitches only took 11 days (all that black at the top helped!).
This will be back before the end of the month with page 1 completed! There are 5 full pages and about 15 stitches on page 6.
Four columns are now complete – only 28 more to go. LOL
Back up to the top again. I hope the bell at the top will be finished when the top of two more columns is completed. The trunk is looking good and I can’t wait for the train to start appearing on the bottom half of the these next two columns.
This will be back in another two weeks.
With several sections of solid colors, I was able to get the next 8 squares done in just 10 days. Wish there were more like that. 🙂
The blue at the top is the beginning of a bell lying on top of the trunk. On the trunk, you see the beginnings of the tassels and the locks.
Now on to the next section – the bottom half of these two columns. I’m working on it an hour every day and average about 10-12 colors each time. This will be back at the end of the month.
I only work on this piece on weekends during (American) football season. With the Super Bowl taking place later today, it’s time to put it away until September. This is where it was when I started working on it in Sept 2016:
At the end of 2016, I had gotten to this point:
So for the last month or so I’ve been working on the right side of the design. This is where I’m stopping for now:
I was trying to fill in areas on his face, alternating that and filling in more background. Then I found that I couldn’t do any more of the background until I started stitching the steam rising from the goblet in his hand. The top half of pages 1-5 are completed. The bottom half of pages 1-2 are done and a little more is needed on page 3. Page 4 is background and steam and page 5 is the orange and brown stripes (now completed) and the maroon and brown triangles that run down the right side. And that is where I’ll start again in September.
In the meantime, I have quite a few cross stitch WIPs from 2015 that I didn’t work on last year because I had the mandala and 5 stockings to get finished. One of those projects will come downstairs tomorrow so I can get back to work on it. Stay tuned.
The first two columns are complete and I realize that there is no way this can be done by July for the baby’s birth. It will have to be for Christmas.
There are 30 more columns to go to finish this. I’m still going to try to do half of 2 columns every two weeks (the equivalent of one column) and see how that goes. Being an HAED design, it is very slow going – changing colors every 3-4 stitches. I am determined to get it done. The colors for the next two columns have a lot of blue, so off I go…
Sorry for the bad photo. I don’t know why that happened. I tried twice for a better photo.
I forgot to mention in the first post that this is the Mini version. That’s why it will be 4″ X 13″. I could never get the larger version done by July.
Here is the first 8 square completed (except for about 5 individual stitches that I’ll fill in this coming week. Each column is 8 squares tall plus 5 stitches. So I’ve done 41 rows of the 85 so far. There are some sections where they are a lot of stitches in the same color and they help me move along a little faster.
The green book will be easy to complete this week (down the first column) and then I can start on the rest of the section. My hope is to get 8 squares done every two weeks. We’ll see how that goes with stitching 5 afternoons each week – 1 or so hours per day.
Here we go again! I’ve finished stitching for my family and up pops a list of things for DH’s family. There will be 2 weddings this year – I’ll stitch Wedding Records for them.
And at age 75, DH will be a grandfather for the first time! So I’m stitching a piece to be framed for the baby’s room – The Train of Dreams from Heaven and Earth Designs (HAED). I’ve had this in my stash for years. I love it but didn’t have a reason to stitch it.
Since it’s an HAED piece, you know there is a lot of changing colors so progress will be slow. I have until July to get this done.
Here is my first progress, a very small section of the red and green books on the left. I’m working two columns at a time. It’s only 8.5 squares tall and I’m working the top half right now. It’s one strand of floss over 1 thread and will be 4″ X 13.5″ when it is done.