Moroccan Stocking 2 – Progress 1

I’ve finally started the second of the Moroccan Stockings – this one for my middle son. I’m using copper and various shades of blue for this one.

M Stocking 1

I’m using Pepper Pot silk, Splendor, Vineyard silk, and lots of metallics (Kreinik, Fyre Werks, Silk Lame, etc.) to add lots of colors and sparkle.

These two bands are from my Blue Rug – the first rug I designed and stitched. But I’m using 18 ct rather than the original 13 ct. I haven’t quite finish the toe area. I was getting tired of Scotch stitches last night and didn’t get it done. I’ll finish that tonight and start on the next band, which is an easy one.

That first band across the widest part of the foot took a long time. I’d forgotten how I had done the white outlines for the Rhodes stitches. Looking back, I’m surprised at how difficult some of the motifs were on that Bllue Rug. I just knew I didn’t want to have to try and chart it out.

I had hoped to have this done this month, but I won’t make it. So I’m aiming for mid-May for a finish.

Central Anatolia Rug – Introduction

In the last post, I told you I was working on two new projects. This is the second one – a rug from Central Anatolia (the area just East of Ankara, Turkey). The center medallion has intrigued me for quite a while now since it is so different from any others I’ve seen. It’s a keyhole (or turret) medallion.

Keyhole Medallion

The design is about half done already! It’s just been sailing along. I’ve adapted a border from the same region already and I’ve started on the medallion. The outline for the medallion is done and I’ve started filling it in. As usual, I’m having to cut it down in size and make it a little simpler.

I’ll be using Pepper Pot Silk for this in red, gold, olive green, and black. I’m excited about the background too. I found out that Pepper Pot now has overdyes and I asked Michelle at Come to the Point about them. She didn’t have them, but ordered them to surprise me. (She is so great to work with!) I’ll be getting a skein of each color I want to use today along with the red overdye to use for the background. Since the border for the medallion lends itself so easily to using Milanese stitch, I’ll fill in the entire background in Milanese as well! Getting very excited about this project though I can’t start it just yet – I have stockings to finish first.

Stay tuned.

Tree of Life Designing

This week I haven’t done as much stitching as usual. My mind has been a-buzz with design ideas. One of them sent me searching the Internet and my rug books. How many cultures have rugs with a Tree of Life? I’ve seen many cross stitch projects and quilts with them, but they are all over the world.

Afghan rug

Afghan Tree 2

Persian rug

Persian Tree of Life

Bakhtiari rug (I’d love to adapt this one!)

Bakhtiari Tree of Life

India rug

India Tree of Life

I’d love to do a whole series of Tree of Life rugs and maybe create one of my own too. But I’ll start with the one below from Bijar – an area in northwest Iran. This area has a large Kurdish population, many of whom are rug makers.

Kurd design – There are flowering bushes, willows and cypress tree. I know I want to stay with the same colors – nice and simple – and make it as a pillow. I’m playing with stitches right now and will start on the design soon. Lots of decisions to make before I get to start stitching ( create a border?).

Kurd Tree of Life

Look for another post soon about another rug (from Anatolia) that I’ve already started designing and will be practice stitching with new threads that will arrive in a few days. I don’t know which one I’ll actually be stitching first. Now that I’ve gotten these two projects mapped out and started on the computer, hopefully my designing mind will take a rest and let me get back to stitching my current projects that need to be done.

Photos are from the Internet and the book Tribal & Village Rugs by Peter F. Stone

Santa on a Brown Bear Framed

I just got this back from the framers. The green mat is “velvet” and sets the whole piece off beautifully. This is going to look wonderful hanging in the living room at Christmas each year!

Santa Bear Finale

He’s a little blurry – it’s so hard to get a good photo of framed needlework. The glass usually causes a white blip somewhere in the photo, so I turned off the flash.

First Moroccan Stocking Finale

I’ve worked hard on this all week and finished it last night! This has been so much fun to work on and it went quickly as well.

It’s stitched on 18 ct. canvas and is about 16″ tall. I used mostly Pepper Pot Silk but used some Sparkle Rays and Neon Rays + in the triangles row, Neon Rays + and Sprinkles for the pink/green borders around the name, and white Sprinkles in the second thread in the Alicia’s Lace background for the name.

H Stocking finale

I think I need to add another row of white Gobelin over 3 threads at the top to make a better finish. And I need to add several rows of white Basketweave all around it as well. But I still consider it a finish and I’m happy with it! (Waiting to hear from Heather…)

I’ll start the second one in about a week – done in blues and copper.

First Moroccan Stocking – Progress 2

It’s been 3 weeks and here’s the next photo. I have completed two more motif rows and started a third one.

H stocking -2

I’ll finish the motif at the top and then add the last motif row (after I scroll up a little more). That will leave the name to do last. This should be done by the end of the month.

These two stockings are being created for my son and his SO so they will not be for sale. They are definitely unique.