As I said in my last post, lots going on here. I haven’t done any needlepoint for over two weeks, but hope to get back to work on the stocking on Monday. (A week with my new granddaughter was wonderful!!)
Before I left, I did get a little more done on the stocking – very little. I finished the second ornament o the left side and I started on the darker, shaded section of the floor on the right side. I’m playing with beads for the candy canes – not sure about it yet.
I’d like to finish the candy canes and ornaments along the bottom in April and start on the chair on the left and the teddy bear on the right. I really hope I’ll have lots of time to work on this over the next month.
I haven’t shown you the Persian Qum rug at all this year! I work on it one week each month and that doesn’t make a lot of progress. After 3 months now, I feel there is enough done to show you.
I’ve added more to the branches and flowers in the rust archway on each side. I finished the vase and started the background in the center section. The pink French Knots to the left of the vase will be 4 pink flowers. Stems and leaves will be stitched on top of the cream background once the flowers are done. There will also be a sprig of flowers on each side at the base of the vase.
I completed the white background on the C piece by Cheryl Shaeffer, but didnt’ take a photo. I want to stitch the yarn that is hanging down on the C and start working on the cat during April.
I’ve started cross stitching over the last two days, so there will be things to show you in the next post on the 15th of April.
No stitching upstairs for a week on any of the 3 large canvases – it was 111 degrees on Friday and Saturday (but we’re finally in the 80s again).
But I did work on the Qum rug the last 3 days. This rug is going to be a very slow rug. This is where I stopped today.
This corner is now complete and the finished part is only about 3 inches wide! The rose and off-white flower on the left will appear only in the four corners of the rug. The blue motif will repeat all the way around. There are 5 repeats across the bottom. I’m using mostly Splendor silk, 3 ply. The outer brown border is old Needle Necessities and I have two skeins which should be more than enough. The inner border is Gloriana #077 in fall colors that I love. There is one skein and I hope it’s enough since I doubt that I could match it.
The small yellow and rose flower in the center of the blue motif is overdyed Threadworx in shades of yellow. I’m cutting out the lightest shade and using the medium and darker yellows only.
I’ll continue to work on the borders only for a while. I want to get all the way across the bottom and get at least one motif up each side before I start working on the center parts. So I’ll wait to show you the rug again for about 4 weeks.
This is my year to relax more and finish some WIPs. So what will I work on now that I’ve finished another rug? Usually, I get to work on another one right away, but I’m doing things a little different this year. I’m not going upstairs to stitch on a large project until next Monday. Taking some time to think about what I want to do. I have 4 needlepoint WIPs that need finishing:
- Purple Heron – I haven’t decided what to do for the background and plants behind the herons, so I’ll probably just work on the floral border for a while. This will be my Friday and Saturday project starting next week. Here’s where it is right now:
2. ASOW tall ship – I need to figure out all the rigging before I can continue with the sky. I’m down to the first cross beam so far:
3. Swans – This is on penelope canvas and I’ve changed the green colors a little, but I would like to get it finished. It’s going in the guest bathroom – someday.
4. Ghiradelli Square by Peter Ash – Love the colors and haven’t touched it in 3 years! Maybe this needs to be worked on next?
One of these will become the Mon-Wed project starting next week.
But while I’m sitting downstairs working on smaller projects, I’m taking some breaks to begin planning on the next rug! I said it would take a long time to design and I’m sure you’ll agree with me. This is a Persian Qum rug.
I saw this on Pinterest and grabbed a copy for my Design Ideas board. I’ve already decided that I will eliminate the large outer border and just do the vase of flowers and the two side panels backed with a rust color. I’ll be stitching it on Congress Cloth to try to keep the overall size smaller – so about 13″ X 17″ maybe. I spent an hour today pulling threads from my stash – solids and overdyes – for color inspiration. Now I’ll play with small borders, lots of flower stitches, etc. and try to create a new wall hanging. You probably won’t my plans for a couple months, but know it’s mulling around in my mind and will slowly find it’s way to the computer.