Once again, I have done very little needlepoint over the last month. I’ve only worked upstairs about 3-4 days all month. But I’ve made a little progress on the Bear Stocking. The darker section of the floor is finished, one rocker on the rocking chair is done, and I’ve started on the first teddy bear. The pads on his feet and one arm were stitched with Diagonal Mosaic. Once the feet are stitched, I’ll use Backstitch to go around the pads. I’m using 3 shades in the caramel family for this teddy and stitching it with a variation of the Corduroy stitch. I worked on one arm this morning to see if I like it and hopefully will find a day or two next week to continue.
I didn’t want to mess up the cat on the Letter C, so I picked up the second of the Fancy Hat Snowmen to work on once in a while in the evening if I had the energy. Simple threads and stitches – the greens are Pebbly Perle and the red is Splendor.
I get at least one comment each year asking about this Cat Tree Ornament from Winnetka Stitchery.
Today is your lucky day!! There’s one for sale on eBay today. Here is the link. Good luck!
With a new granddaughter due in July and my youngest saying he wants to start his family this year, I’ve been on a bit of a spending spree this month. I want to be able to give the new grandchildren an ornament each year, like I’ve done for the 3 granddaughters I already have. They got their last ones this past December.
These two ornaments I’ve had in my stash for years – since 2012. I wanted to kit up some smaller pieces to stitch while I wasn’t able to get around much the end of that year (hip replacement surgery). The red and white one was stitched then, but the black cat was just barely started. It’s now finished. Both of these ornaments are from Kathy Schenkel.
I wasn’t sure how I would feel in the weeks following surgery, so I stitched this with #5 perle cotton and mostly Basketweave.
I stitched this companion piece with #5 perle and Basketweave as well. I felt this one needed whiskers so I added them with white #4 Kreinik braid. The thread has a metallic filament in it, so it looks greenish. I really like how that turned out.
More ornaments are here and waiting their turn with the needles. And I have 6 more on order from various shops that had trunk sales this month. I’ll stitch them up, probably one a month. As I get the finishing done, I’ll tuck them away in a box until Christmas each year. Then I can select one for each of the new grandchildren. I also want to do some cross stitch ones and Mill Hill beaded ones. I think I’ll be busy for quite a while on this project!
I have completed the green parts of the tree this time. I used an overdye floss from Needle Necessities. I used 4 plies with two plies reversed for my stitching. I still got areas that were all light colors and some that were darker colors. So I decided to try something different. I had to do longer slanted stitches going in all different directions in order to do the little needles sticking out around the edges. So I did more slanted stitches on top of the basketweave to break up the areas that were all one color. Here’s how it looks now.
I’m thinking that backstitching around some of the cats will keep them from disappearing into the tree – especially gray, purple, brown and blue ones. I’m going to try it out. I had to order Kreinik to do the background, so I’ll do the ornaments and the cross while I wait. Hopefully I’ll be able to show you the finished ornament by the end of next week.
This cute little ornament is from Winnetka Stitchery. I fell in love with it the first time I saw t it. It’s only 5.5 inches tall and 2.5 inches wide. The four little X’s show the corners of the piece.
I stitched one or two cats each time I picked it up and now all the cats are completely stitched.
I’m working on the tree itself now and trying out something a little different. You’ll see how that goes next time.