My Turn – a Christmas Stocking

I did 5 stockings last year and now have two to do next year. So this is MY year and I’ve started a stocking for myself.

This is an old Dimensions kit that I bought several years ago because: 1. I love cats 2. We have a staircase like this in our home, 3. The two cats at the bottom look like our cats Julius and Daisy. Unfortunately, Julius and Daisy are no longer with us.

Starting at the center, I decided to work the bottom, left part of the stocking working down to the toe. Then I’ll do the heel and work my way up to the top. I work on it several times a week for about an hour at a time. Here is where I stopped last night:

I’ve spent several evenings working on the Julius look-a-like but I don’t have the tail done or the front paw yet. The outlining of the ornaments and edges of the newel post have been done. The stripes are the wall paper and there’s more of that to come.

I’ll need to spend more time on it starting next month if I want it done for Christmas this year. After a week, the first cat still isn’t done and there are 8 cats on the stocking! LOL

 

Advertisements

Norfolk Diligence Sampler – Progress 19

I’m back to my regular projects now. I haven’t worked on this for two weeks, so it obviously won’t be done this month.

Since the last band is also a large one and starts on the page with the bottom of the manor house and then on to the whole last page, I’ve decided to break things up a little. I’m going across the top of the band, working on the smaller motifs first. This still means I have to switch back  and forth between two pages, but it’s working okay so far.

Page 7 has the crown and the bird’s head and the top two colors of the tree. The rest of the bird and tree are on Page 9. This is what I’ve completed since Sunday. I’m also working on the side border a little each day. When this much of the last border is done, I’ll be back to show you. There are several more kinds of motifs in this row that I need to figure out.

The bottom of the last band is 5 octagon medallions – 4 of which have designs done over 1 on this piece of 40 ct. linen. The words that were stitched months ago took a long time and this will be no different. I’m already having a little trouble working on the 40 ct. with over 2 stitches. I guess this is the last thing I’ll stitch on this count of fabric.

 

Norfolk Diligence Sampler – Progress 17

It has taken a full month, but the left side of the manor is now complete!

The last 4-5 stitches on the right side of the front door are actually on the next page, but I wanted to be able to do the backstitching on the whole door, so finished enough to accomplish that. The left side of the grass is stitched using the Closed Herringbone stitch and an overdyed dark green thread. And all the steps are completed – again some from the next page.

I’ll work on the right side now and then I’ll have just one more band to do and the bottom border. I can’t wait to have this one completed. I love it and want to get it framed and hung up somewhere in my home – not sure where just yet.

ABC Sampler – Progress 3

This definitely will not be finished before the new granddaughter is born, but I’m making progress. The top half of the design is complete – 12 of the 26 animals. There are more smaller animals coming up on the lower half.

Each one is cuter than the last one. I did the Ladybug last night and just had to do the black outlining and the name today. I need to spend more time on this and get it done.

We were in the 90s today and this will be our weather for the next week (possible 100+ on Sunday.) We talked with the mother-to-be today and told to head over here if it gets too hot at her place. Only about 3 weeks to go. She’ll be more comfortable here during the day.

I know how hot weather effects you when you’re pregnant since I had two of my boys while living in Morocco (a million years ago). Without air conditioning there, it was miserable.

If they do come over, I’ll be able to show them the Christmas stocking I bought recently. It’s 21″ tall, so I want to be sure they like it before I buy the threads and get it onto my list to start early next year.

Norfolk Diligence Sampler – Progress 16

Finally finished Page 6!

I’ve pulled out Pages 7-8 and will work on the top half of these pages to finish the manor house, the steps leading to the front door, and the grass across the bottom of this large band. The rest of the plant on the left has been started – just need to finish the flowers. I’ll alternate stitching the border on the left with the first section of the first floor of the manor below the small roof on the left. The bottom of the manor is even with the bottom of the plant. That’s my goal for this week.

When the manor house is complete, I’ll be able to start the final band and the bottom border. Still quite a ways off – 6 pages done and 4 to go.

Norfolk Diligence Sampler – Progress 15

It’s been a couple months since you saw this piece, and I still haven’t finished Page 6.  The top floor of the mansion is finished. I have backstitched the three chimneys and added two rows of light brown from Page 7 so I could outline the first window and its shutters. I just couldn’t wait to see how it would look. The rest will get done when the house is finished – when Pages 7 and 8 are done. I’ve also stitched most of the flowers on the right side border. I have one more white flower to stitch. I have to put the white petals on another one as well.

I’m working on the night sky and moon too. The moon is done and I hope to get the rest of that done this weekend.

Besides finishing the night sky and one more white flower, there are still a couple more little details to the right of the small roof – plants, but a little different from the ones on the left. This panel with the house is all I’ve worked on this year so far and I can’t believe how slow it’s going. I just don’t have as much time to stitch right now.