I put this away last February when I couldn’t get the edges of the blanket to work out the way I envisioned it. It’s on my list of WIPs that I want to finish this year, so I got it out about a week ago and started working on it again. This is where I left it last year. The bear is stitched, the blanket is done except for the edge.
Now I have the light purple bridle and the candy canes done. The edge of the rug was stitched sith Brick Stitch in gold and dark purple Kreinik ribbon. The beads have been added along the bottom of the blanket (sewn down so they don’t move around). The basket for the rabbit is stitched with Splendor and a touch of Kreinik gold braid. The bag for the candy canes was stitched in Basketweave with Splendor and Kreinik gold braid. That’s good progress for one week. Here is a close-up of blanket and baskets.
And here is the whole piece so far.
I don’t want to do the rabbit yet, since he will be done with Wisper (and Santa’s fur trim too). So I’ll work on Santa and the little tree next. A little at a time, he will get done in the next month or so.
I’m finally getting somewhere on this. Boy, I’m slow sometimes. LOL
I started at the top again and added to the head and then continued with the Ecru #8 perle cotton in slanted stitches to create the area under his chin. Now I can do more of the zigzags in different colors and that will leave some smaller areas to fill in to get him finished.
Now that things are moving again, I’m hoping to have him all finished up by the end of next week. It will be good to have a needlepoint piece completed. I have Christmas presents to work on and a couple more small needlepoint rugs to design. Busy, busy.
I keep working on this but it goes slower than you would think. You have to decide what stitches you want to use and then the colors and the threads. But here it is so far:
The body is about half done now. I hope to get close to finishing the “mosaic” part next week. Then it will be a quick finish with the cream color to match up with the face that is completed. That’s the plan anyway.
I haven’t worked on this for a while and decided to pick it up this week and see how far I can get by the end of the month. I’ve been working my way down the right side, below the very large Rhodes stitch that was the start of the body design. I’ve used most of the stitches that Dakota Rogers had in the instructions, but she encourages you to let the design “talk to you” and create as you go. So I’ve been adding some stitches – Diagonal Mosaic, Sprat’s Head, Arrowhead.
I liked the way she stitched the center at the bottom, so I did it her way and changed colors as I went along. I added stair steps in blue/violet on the left side so I can plan where to put some of the larger stitches. Once the larger ones are in, I can start playing with stitches to fill in areas.
The last thing I did last night was the two crescents at the bottom to form a square. I added a Vault stitch inside it. I’ve also started added a border of Mosaic stitches so I can make it a stand-up cat when it’s completed.
Couldn’t resist starting this new rug. This is the 13th rug I’ve designed. This one is on 18 count canvas and is being Basketweaved with Pepper Pot Silk. Since I have two other rugs still being worked on, this one will only get attention on Saturdays. By next month, I’ll be able to do more work on it. I hope to have the Border Rug done by then (wishful thinking perhaps).
I’ve already shown you the Persian Nain Rug that I found online, but here is another quick look at it.
I’ve only gotten the threads inventoried and opened one skein of each color. You can see that I didn’t get far with the actual stitching. But I’ve started the outer border. The little square will only appear in the four corners. The other two motifs will be repeated around the outside edge.
As usual, I’ll be simplifying the design. The background won’t be as full of motifs, so more of the cream background.
This small piece is moving along very well. I have stitched the snowman with Silk Lame Braid, added the eyes and mouth with Kreinik #8 black braid, and stitched his nose with a rusty orange in Padded Satin stitch. His scarf is done in two shades of Splendor Silk.
I still have to stitch the hat, his stick arm and the trees. When all the Basketweave is done, then I will go back and stitch the snowflakes on top of everything else. I did make a color copy of the canvas before I started stitching so I would know where they all go.
Life has gotten in the way for the last week or so, but I’ve finally got the center of this rug completed. It’s just about 5 inches deep – 64 threads. The inside of the large diamonds were filled in with all the colors of the rug using Smyrna Crosses. The red background is the lightest of the 4 burgundy shades I’m using for this rug. The stitch is Milanese. All the Milanese stitches slant away from the center. I’m glad to be past the halfway mark at long last!
I won’t show this rug very often now, since there will be nothing new to show you. Just an occasional post when I have two or more of the bands done. There are 6 bands I need to repeat on the top half of the rug, plus the outer border all the way around. It’s still going to take some time to finish. This is the slowest rug I’ve ever stitched, but since it’s just for me it isn’t a problem. Here is the whole rug so far:
I have my Ott lamp close to the rug so the colors will show up well. It seems it was too close to the top part of the rug and the red in the center looks much lighter than is really is. The photo of just the center band is a better color representation of this Bordeaux color from Silk & Ivory.